Retail Pulse - May 2019
This month we've got a mix of names featuring for several different reasons.
The most talked about retailers, according to the Retail Burn, include: Amazon, Urban Outfitters, Jysk, and The Restaurant Group all reporting positive news stories, and Gourmet Burger Kitchen, Ann Summers, WH Smith Retail, M&S, Miss Selfridge and Arcadia Group where the news hasn't been so great.
The Retailer Database shows plenty of good news about Amazon. May 2019 saw Amazon announce investment in Deliveroo and launch a click & collect service in partnership with Next.
At the other end of the scale is Arcadia Group. Arcadia is in the process of working out proposals for a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) as it looks to close stores and restructure the Group.
Pragma analyses retailer accounts to understand their financial health and sustainability. Those with good scores in these areas feature in our Hot 100.
The Hot 100 in May 2019 included;
· Flannels; opening on Newcastle’s Northumberland Street
· Nando’s; adding to the line-up at The Junction retail and leisure park
· Mountain Warehouse; proposing to open 50 new stores globally this year
· Hotel Chocolat; opening at the St David’s shopping centre in Cardiff
· Yours; reporting rising full-year sales and profits
· Next; launching new in-store click & collect service with Amazon
· Superdrug; trialling new food-to-go range in partnership with The Co-op
· Pets at Home; launching a new ‘Store of the Future’ concept
Retail News Index
The May RNI index for All Retailers, at 98, has decreased by 2.
· Leisure, at 103, has increased by 5.
· Clothing & Footwear, at 85, has decreased by 9.
· Household, at 103, has decreased by 6.
· Personal, at 94, has increased by 1.
· Grocery, at 100, has decreased by 1.
· Food & Beverage, at 98, has decreased by 3.
Retailer Births & Deaths
There were 4 administrations recorded in May: specialist chocolatier Choccywoccydoodah; health-focused café chain Filmore & Union, which was subsequently bought out of administration; restaurant group Jamie’s Italian; and, womenswear retailer Select.
There were 3 new additions to the Pragma Retailer Database in May: German fitness franchise Bodystreet; family-friendly golf concept Mr Mulligan’s Adventure Golf; and, Korean supermarket chain Oseyo.