Retail Pulse - March 2019
This month, aside from the administrations mentioned above, we've got a mix of names featuring for several different reasons.
The most talked about retailers, according to the Retail Burn, include: The Entertainer, Footasylum, PizzaExpress, Matalan and Hollywood Bowl all reporting positive news stories, and Majestic Wine, Bonmarche, Ed’s Diner, Giraffe World Kitchen and Arcadia Group where the news hasn't been so great.
The Retailer Database shows plenty of good news about The Entertainer. The Entertainer has acquired Early Learning Centre from Mothercare, posted a strong rise in sales and profits in its latest full year and is opening a new store at The Exchange Ilford in May.
At the other end of the scale is Arcadia Group, which is looking at options for the future of its business including store closures and a possible CVA.
Pragma analyses retailer accounts to understand their financial health and sustainability. Those with good scores in these areas feature in our Hot 100.
The Hot 100 in March 2019 included;
· Hobbs; looking to open new locations in the next 12 months
· TGI Friday’s; launching a reward programme to recognise staff that create a ‘buzz’ in its sites
· Benefit; launches first voice-led campaign in the UK
· DFS; interim profits and sales surge
· Ikea; opens its second planning studio in Bromley
· McDonald’s; buying an AI start-up to help serve up data-driven meal choices
· Zara; opens one of its largest stores to date at into Lakeside
· Subway; opening at Aberdeen’s Bon Accord shopping centre
Retail News Index
· The March RNI index for All Retailers, at 99, has decreased by 2.
· Leisure, at 109, has remained the same.
· Clothing & Footwear, at 84, has decreased by 7.
· Household, at 117, has increased by 16.
· Personal, at 93, has remained the same.
· Grocery, at 98, has decreased by 4.
· Food & Beverage, at 104, has increased by 1.
Retailer Births & Deaths
There were 4 administrations recorded in March: bathroom specialist Better Bathrooms; British fashion house LK Bennett; stationery supplier Office Outlet; and, lifestyle clothing brand Pretty Green.
There were 5 new additions to the Pragma Retailer Database in March: US clothing brand American Eagle; Taiwanese restaurant operator Din Tai Fung; German eatery Herman ze German; and cinema chains Scotts and Tivoli.
Lebanese grill house Kababji is set to make its UK debut in Wimbledon ahead of further expansion.