Retail Pulse - June 2018
We analyse retailer accounts to understand their financial health and sustainability. Those with good scores in these areas feature in our Hot 100.
The Hot 100 in June 2018 included;
- Savers; hitting the expansion trail
- Games Workshop; sales and profit growth continues
- Joules; plots expansion in key markets on back of revenue growth
- Lidl; pushes on with expansion plans
- WH Smith Plc; quarterly sales up boosted by travel stores
- McDonald's; replacing plastic straws with paper ones throughout UK and Ireland portfolio
- Quiz; sets out plans for omnichannel and international expansion on back of rising sales
- Holland & Barrett; appoints new chief marketing officer
Retail News Index
The June RNI index for All Retailers, at 95, has decreased by 2.
- Leisure, at 103, has decreased by 10.
- Clothing & Footwear, at 86, has decreased by 5.
- Household, at 92, has decreased by 3.
- Personal, at 99, has increased by 5.
- Grocery, at 102, has increased by 1.
- Food & Beverage, at 101, has increased by 4.
Pragma on average reviews over 350 unique items of retailer news. Each article is scored according to sentiment. RNI is the sum of these scores indexed against 2005 and averaged over a three month period. The RNI time series for all retailers starts from May 2002.
Retailer Births & Deaths
There were 3 administrations recorded in June: Henri Lloyd (rescued in a pre-pack deal), Hummus Bros and Poundworld.
There were 9 new additions to the Pragma Retailer Database in June, with 1 new retailer launching in the UK market: Dutch-based 'haute fast food' brand The Butcher.