Retail Pulse - July 2018
This month, we've got a mix of names featuring for a number of different reasons.
The most talked about retailers, according to the Retail Burn, include & Other Stories, Amazon, Pets at Home and Primark all reporting positive news stories, and Mothercare, Byron, Mattressman, Perfect Home, CAU and Poundworld, where the news hasn't been so great.
The Retailer Database shows plenty of good news about & Other Stories as it announces new store openings in Bristol’s Cabot Circus, Liverpool One and Old Spitalfields Market in London.
At the other end of the scale is Poundworld, where all stores have now closed following a brief spell in administration.
Pragma analyses retailer accounts to understand their financial health and sustainability. Those with good scores in these areas feature in our Hot 100.
The Hot 100 in July 2018 included;
- Lush; opening one of its largest outlets in the UK this year at Attwood House in Birmingham
- JoJo Maman Bebe; opening in Didcot as part of the Orchard Centre expansion
- Swatch; announces an all-time record in half-year sales of €3.7bn
- Hotel Chocolat; enjoys another strong year of growth
- Patisserie Valerie; extends partnership with Sainsbury’s to offer products in a further 31 stores
- Pets at Home; opens at Liverpool Shopping Park
- Ikea; opening new inner-city flagship on London’s Tottenham Court Road
- Scotts; opens new store at Glasgow Fort
Retail News Index
The July RNI index for All Retailers, at 99, has increased by 4.
- Leisure, at 114, has increased by 11.
- Clothing & Footwear, at 94, has increased by 8.
- Household, at 100, has increased by 8.
- Personal, at 105, has increased by 8.
- Grocery, at 98, has decreased by 4.
- Food & Beverage, at 94, has decreased by 7.
Pragma on average reviews over 350 unique items of retailer news. Each article is scored according to sentiment. RNI is the sum of these scores indexed against 2005 and averaged over a three month period. The RNI time series for all retailers starts from May 2002.
Retailer Births & Deaths
There were 2 administrations recorded in July: CAU and Perfect Home (subsequently purchased by Brixworth Investments, an affiliate of Elliott Advisors which owns the majority of the company’s debt).
There were 7 new additions to the Pragma Retailer Database in July, with 1 new retailer eyeing launching in the UK market: Jollibee, the largest fast food chain in the Philippines.