Tocumen International Airport, Panama - Retail Master Plan Commercial Analysis-
About the brand
Tocumen International Airport is currently the busiest airport in Central America, acting as a transfer hub for North- and South American cities. It reached a total of 13.4 million passengers in 2015 and has strong forecast growth. To accommodate the expected demand, a second terminal is currently under construction, due to open in late 2017.
Tocumen International Airport is constructing a second terminal with the aim to double passenger capacity by 2018. Pragma was tasked with planning the commercial layout for Terminal 2 and, following its opening, optimising the Terminal 1 commercial offer.
WHAT WE DID
- Evaluated airport users’ commercial needs and requirements by designing a custom survey for both airside and landside users of the airport
- Reviewed the existing commercial offer at the current terminal, in terms of key performance metrics, benchmarking against similar airports, as well as carrying out a qualitative physical assessment
- Proposed short- and medium-term ‘quick wins’ that could help increase commercial revenue, and enhance passenger perceptions of the airport
- Created financial forecasts for both terminals
- Identified the space requirements for duty free, specialty retail, and F&B by building a bespoke space supportable model for each terminal
- Optimised the commercial layout and mix of Terminal 1, taking into consideration the reduced passenger numbers and altered passenger flows
- Evaluated design plans for both terminals, considering the passenger flows, operational requirements, and retail adjacencies, and identified areas for improvement to aid the passenger experience and increase revenue
- Created the retail master plan for Terminal 2, including the retail mix, zoning, and layout of unitsManager
Pragma created a retail master plan for the airport as a whole, allowing the airport to understand both current and future space requirements, as well as how to adapt the commercial layout to drive the best financial return and passenger experience.